Sunday, February 17, 2008

LAND OF THE FREE AND THE HOME OF THE BRAVE

I just returned home from church and wanted to relate an experience I had today. Our primary chorister, Sunee, focused on Presidents of the Church because of President's Day tomorrow. For the closing song she had the children stand and sing the National Anthem. At first I wondered how this would go over-how many children (ages 8-11) really know the words the the National Anthem? I was blown away! These sweet kids left their silliness behind and sang the National Anthem beautifully. It was hard for me to sing through my tears. It left such a profound message in my heart. There is still hope in this world and our children are that hope.

2 comments:

Krista said...

I thought that singing the national anthem was awesome too, and I was also blown away at home many kids knew the words.

Taylor and I were talking after church, and he said "I bet you haven't said the pledge in 20 years" (how old does he think I am?) I said "not true, I say it when I go to pack meetings". I then asked him how often he says it, and I was sad to hear him say that at Fossil Ridge Intermediate they only say the pledge of allegience on Mondays and they don't have flags in the rooms, they watch a computerized version on the classroom tvs.

Eardley Family said...

Brook,
Thanks so much for mentioning primary on Sunday. That is touching. I love those kids sooo much and I love singing with them. I especially love it when the children are joined by what seems like a Heavenly choir. Thank you for being in Primary...they are the hope of Tomorrow!
Sunee