
"The next time the clerk at your favorite grocery store asks whether you prefer “paper or plastic” for your purchases, consider giving the truly eco-friendly response and saying, “neither.”
Plastic bags end up as litter that fouls the landscape, and kill thousands of marine mammals every year that mistake the floating bags for food. Plastic bags that get buried in landfills may take up to 1,000 years to break down, and in the process they separate into smaller and smaller toxic particles that contaminate soil and water. Furthermore, the production of plastic bags consume millions of gallons of oil that could be used for fuel and heating.
Is Paper Better Than Plastic?
Paper bags, which many people consider a better alternative to plastic bags, carry their own set of environmental problems. For example, according to the American Forest and Paper Association, in 1999 the U.S. alone used 10 billion paper grocery bags, which adds up to a lot of trees."
Reusable bags are the best option. I have learned to carry a few in my purse, so I have one when I need it. You can find some really cute ones around. I have the ones from Target (they come in lots of sizes and zip down to wallet size). I have seen them at Harmon's. I think I saw some in the front window of Pier 1 and my sister says Trader Joes has some nice ones too. I have been amazed how good I feel each time I pull out my bags to use instead of carrying out plastic bags. This is a small think that will help out the environment a whole lot. You might think I'm a hippy but in this case I can think of a lot worse you could call me!
7 comments:
I've used re-useable bags for years!! My kids make fun of me especially when I ask Harmons for my 5 cents bag credit. I have canvas ones and Costco sells/sold some nice bigger bags. Go green!
You've inspired me - I've been thinking about buying some reusable bags for a while but haven't ever gotten around to actually doing something about it!
I usually get paper because I use them for my recycle garbage. Smith's now has the plastic bag recycling bin in the front of their stores so I can finally get rid of all my plastic bags I've got laying around. I do use them for my bathroom garbages but I still have a ton.
Anyway - I'm going to take the plunge for the reusable bags.
Way to go, you hippie.
Peace.
That is a great idea. Do you have to take a ton of them with you-- or are they big enough to fill 2 carts worth of groceries?
BTW-- Olivia did so great lastnight! She looked beautiful!
You can get some pretty big bags. I have to occasionally get one or two plastic bags (I am ashamed to say). I never have them put big items in bags (milk, juice bag boxes, cereal...). Targets bags fold down tiny and flat so they're really easy to carry. I want some more but am waiting to get some at Trader Joe's during spring break. My sister says they are cute (surf boards and stuff on them).
Mine from Costco are big and I have smaller canvas ones for the smaller trips. I use about 6 per cartful. They hold more than plastic bags, easier to carry and less trips to & from car to kitchen. Love them!
Great idea! I'm gonna do it. I wish we had recycling from the garbage company, too. Then you get those handy bins for sorting. I always feel so guilty about all the trash I make. I need a trash make-over!
There is a paper recycle bin in the Harmon's parking lot. They take old phone book, newspapers, and junk mail. It's not much but I guess any little bit helps. I keep a bin just for paper and when it gets full I take it there.
Post a Comment