Tuesday, January 08, 2008
Matty
I don't want to put a depressing post on, hopefully this won't be. Today is the 6th anniversary of my brother Matthew's death. I have had thoughts of him all day and wanted to share a few. Matthew was quite a bit younger than me so I was lucky enough to get to watch him grow up. From the time Matt was little he knew what he wanted to do...He wanted to be just like his big brother. He excelled in everything he did. He was an avid climber and musician. He loved to be funny and laugh. One of my fondest memories of Matt was when he was five and got himself drunk at a family party. He really did get HIMSELF drunk. It was my step grandpa's birthday and there was Champagne to celebrate. Every nonempty glass was snuck away by Matt. By the time anyone noticed, Matt was wasted. When Matt was older he talked his mom into buying him a dog. I still laugh when I think about Matt teasing Mick. He would race through the house as fast as he could with Mick in tow, barking and howling, slipping on the hard wood floors, and running into things that got in his way. I have fond memories of going to New York City and the Met. Matt actually helped me change a diaper that trip. Matt moved to Colorado for school the year before he died. He wanted to be independent-He made my dad teach him how to do the laundry, iron, and do small repairs around the house. He had become an adult. I am so grateful that I had the opportunity to have such a wonderful, funny, talented, happy brother. I love to remember the great times we were able to share together. I love you, Matt!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



5 comments:
Brook-that was sweet. I'm glad you shared those memories with us.
Brook, I love those pictures. I have never seen them before and now through my tears they seem so alive. Beautiful tribute. I miss both boys more than word can say. We were so lucky to have such amazing men in our lives. Matty was......well...you know. He was Matty. Just as you describe funny. smart and so unique. Hell, I needed a good cry today!- Aunt M
Brook
Thanks fo rsharing memories of your brother. He sounds like a fun, unique, and independant person. I'm glad you are thinking of all the fun memories of him, on a sad day.
Oh Brooke- that made me cry. Thanks for the sweet tribute. It seems like he was a fabulous guy. I'm so, so, so sorry. Melissa
Brook - I'm a dope. Didn't mean to put an 'e' at the end of your name! Sorry! I love ya - even if I do spell your name wrong.
Post a Comment