I was saddened to hear of the passing of President Hinckley last night. What a wonderful man he was! I'm sure many of you have been thinking about words he spoke that meant something to you or experiences you have had because of President Hinckley. I though I would share an experience we had with President Hinckley...Shortly after we got married we moved into the Historic 10th ward in downtown Salt Lake City. President Hinckley had grown up in this ward. For those of you who don't know about the 10th ward-it is one of the oldest chapels in Salt Lake. It is amazingly beautiful with a gorgeous stained glass window of Christ at the back of the chapel. If you ever get the chance to look through it, it is well worth it (400 S. 800 E.). Anyway, just after we moved in the building had an overhaul to bring it back to its original state. President Hinckley came and rededicated it when it was done. It was such an fabulous experience to sit so close to President Hinckley in such an intimate setting. As he spoke he told the congregation that this building was special to him, not only because he had grown up attending it but because it was the place where he KNEW the Book of Mormon was the word of God and that Joseph Smith was a true prophet. He said he had attended his first Priesthood session of conference in the building and as the men stood to sing "Joseph Smith's First Prayer" he knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that the words he was singing where true. I am grateful for the teachings of President Hinckley. I am glad for the insight he has had on not only my behalf but on the insights and example he had on the world. I am so happy he had the inspiration for each of us to read the Book of Mormon. It was a wonderful experience in our home.
1 comment:
Thank you for sharing that. Brian and I also lived right around the corner from that church building (and attended 10th ward) when we were first married. It's great to hear those stories of where Pres. Hinckley's testimony was formed. I love him!
Post a Comment